Friday, May 29, 2009

Diet and Exercise

Once a year I usually get on a health kick. It usually happens at the beginning of the new year but this year that didn't happened. I think I was on a don't spend money kick at that time so I never really got on the health kick. It took a little longer this year but now I'm on it. I start by thinking we need to eat things with a little bit more nutrition than usual instead of all the prepackaged stuff. Don't get me wrong, we are not throwing that stuff out. We are just adding more fruits and vegetables, maybe a little yogurt and cheese. This is all to even out all the pop tarts my kids eat and all the sugar in everything. This year my health kick started with Brad being on a diet so he needs things with less calories and then it progressed because I started trying on my spring and summer clothes and realized that a lot of them are a little tighter than they were last year. And by a little tighter I mean that I can tie them I just can't sit in them and breathing is a little difficult. Now I am all for buying some new clothes but my clothes fund only has $50 in it and both Brad and I need new clothes. So unless someone knows of a place that I can get both of us a new wardrobe for $50 I think I better lose a few pounds.



About a month ago I read this post by Melanie. After reading this post for some reason I felt compelled to buy "The 30 Day Shred" with Jillian Micheals. I bought it off Ebay and chose the slowest shipping possible to put off starting it. Then when I finally got it, I realized that Brad hooked up the DVD player wrong and there is no sound. Bummer! I still couldn't start! After begging and pleading with him to fix it because I was really looking forward to being in pain, I finally decided to just use the computer. Now, this DVD claims to help you lose 20lbs in 30 days. I am not looking to actually do this, since I would actually weigh the same as I did in high school and that might just look plain silly on an old lady like me. But I am looking forward to actually having a few muscles. So, yesterday I took the plunge and started. WOW! What a workout! If you want to work every muscle in your body, this is the workout for you! My arms and legs are in some pain today but not nearly as bad as I thought. The only problem, I have to do this again today! Now I've tried a lot of videos before and they usually have me jumping around everywhere and I'm confused as to what I'm supposed to be doing. Thankfully this is not one of them. It's a lot of basic things like push-ups, jumping jacks, crunches. It just really pushes you. I will let you know how it continues. If you notice me with arm muscles you'll know it's going good.

And on a side note, thanks to Beth Van Baren for taking the plunge and being my 3rd follower! One day I will work on finding out how to set it up so you can all recieve my posts by email, but this week I learned how to add links. I like to only learn one new thing at a time!

No comments: