Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Book Reviews

Most of the books I enjoy are usually true stories, which is what the 2 books that I am going to review today are.  

The first book I was able to read on vacation, although the second half was during our long ride home from Florida. It is called "The Glass Castle" and is by Jeannette Walls. I find it oddly fascinating that a woman that grew up in the 60's and 70's lived a good portion of her life with no indoor plumbing, no heat and no electric. This woman has a very interesting story to tell of her life as a child of an alcholic, a mother with a free spirit, and stories of moving from one town to another and across country. In the end, she realizes that this how her parents actually like to live. In one sense, I applaud her mother for not taking free handouts from the government when she knew her husband or herself could be working to pay for food and shelter but I also say shame on her for not going out and getting a job and making sure her children had clothes, a proper place to live and food to eat. It definitely gives you a new light on homeless people. Jeannette's parents actually liked being homeless and could have easily not been on the streets. They chose that path for themselves. I think Jeannette's life made her a very strong individual who had great drive. I definitely recommend this book.

The second book I read was "I Will Carry You" by Angie Smith. I have followed Angie's blog for over 2 years now. She tells the story of her pregnancy and finding out at 18 weeks that her daughter Audrey had conditions making her "incompatible with life." I love how Angie tells her story but weaves in so much scripture. This woman is a woman that is humble enough to share with us her weaknesses but strong in the Lord throughout this very difficult trial. One of my favorite lines in this book is,"Either we will go through life as bitter servants, or we will make Him famous with our love. I want Him to be famous." She shows us through this book how she has always pointed to Jesus. I think this book is a must read for all women! Angie is a very talented writer who will be writing another book and I can't wait to find out what it is!

No comments: