Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Amazing Cake

During my computer issues I was busy baking and taking pictures of some of the delicious things I've been making. So, I might have a run of some recipes over the next couple weeks.

If you are a friend of mine on Facebook, you may have seen me post about a really AMAZING cake that I made! I brought half the cake to work one day and they were all raving about it. Now...... I have to say I had made a Strawberry Cake on Easter and there are things that I like about both cakes and things I didn't like about both cakes.

The cake I made on Easter was a little dry but the Strawberry Buttercream Frosting was delicious.

This cake was so delicious that when I leveled it I couldn't throw the extra in the garbage. First I ate half of it and then I put the rest in a container. Of course, I never got another bite because my family devoured the rest.

The only thing I didn't really like was the Strawberry jam in the cream cheese frosting. No one else complained and they couldn't get enough of it. So I guess the jam thing was just me. I might actually try making this cake again but using the Buttercream Frosting from the other cake or just omitting the jam in the frosting.

Vanilla Cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting

Frosting
  • 2 8-oz packages of cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup seedless strawberry jam
  • 3/4 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
Cake
  • 3 cups cake flour (I use All Purpose)
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 7 large eggs
  • 2 TBSP vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 6 TBSP plus 1/3 cup seedless strawberry jam
  • 2 1/4 lbs strawberries, hulled, sliced (about 6 cups), divided (I ended up using a little under 2 lbs)
MAKE THE FROSTING
Put a small/medium bowl in the freezer to chill. In a separate large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in sugar, then jam. Remove that chilled bowl from the freezer and beat cream in that chilled bowl until peaks form. Fold whipped cream into frosting. Cover; chill for a couple of hours until it’s firm enough to spread. (I actually chilled overnight and assembled the next day.)


MAKE THE CAKE
Preheat the oven to 325. Butter and flour two 9-inch cake pans with 2-inch high sides. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Add sour cream, and beat for 30 seconds. Add flour mixture in three additions, beating to blend after each addition. Divide batter into prepared pans.

Bake cake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the edges of the pans, then turn cakes out onto a rack to cool completely.

If your cake is a little rounded on the top, level the top of the cake. Then divide each cake in half horizontally. Place one half on a cake plate.

Spread 3 TBSP of strawberry jam over the cake, then spread 3/4 c of the frosting over the jam. Arrange 3/4 c of the sliced strawberries on top of the frosting in a single layer. Repeat two more times with cake layer, jam, frosting, and strawberries.

Top with remaining cake layer, cut side down. Spread two cups of frosting over the top and sides of the cake in a thin layer, then frost with remaining frosting. Stir remaining jam to loosen, then spoon teaspoonfuls onto the top and sides of the cake. Use the back of a spoon to swirl jam decoratively into the frosting. I actually omitted this last step of swirling the jam.

After you're done it is time to enjoy a nice big piece and all the compliments you will get from everyone!

No comments: