Wednesday, February 26, 2014

You had me at Systemic Inflammation

That's where they got me.

Yep, I'm back to the book.

It Starts With Food starts off talking about the science of the body.

Yawn.

Not a fan of science. Never have been, never will be. I struggled through most of it, found a few things interesting, and then finally skipped over a chapter.

Then I got to the chapter on Systemic Inflammation.

I was hooked.

First, I would like to give the disclaimer that I am in no way in the medical field or a nutritionist and so really I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm just sharing what I read in a book. And I always believe everything I read. Don't you?

Just kidding. I don't but this made sense to me and if anything I figured I might as well try the diet and find out for myself. I mean, really, what do I have to lose except for 30 days of healthy eating. Seems like a win, win to me.

Anyway, back to Systemic Inflammation or better yet, Chronic Systemic Inflammation.

What is it? Good question.

It is a long-term, full-body inflammation that is caused by the food that we eat. Basically, there is a whole science behind how the body works and how the food we eat causes this Inflammation. I could try to explain it to you but I don't want to bore you because it bores me just thinking about it. Plus I'm not sure I really understand it. (I'm really convincing you on all of this aren't I?)

But here is the interesting part, the list of conditions caused by this Inflammation.

It truly flabbergasted me! You mean to tell me this list can all be cured by just eating the right foods?

There is a whole page but here are some:

acne, allergies, anemia, arthritis, asthma, bipolar, cancer, celiac disease, chronic pain, Crohn's disease, dementia, depression, diabetes, eczema, endometriosis, gingivitis, Grave's disease, heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, infertility, IBS, joint pain, migraines, multiple sclerosis, obesity, Parkinson's, and a lot more.

The ones that I have included here are because they either are things that pertained to me and Brad, I know people that suffer from them, or I was just amazed that changing your diet could cure these diseases. Instead we continue to eat bad food and then take medications to combat them.

Another thing that really spoke to me was that it affects your physical fitness. Last fall I was training to run a 10k but had to drop out because of painful joints and I just wasn't progressing in my running. I am excited to start running again this Spring and am hoping that changing my diet has helped.

Brad has had high triglycerides and will be having blood work done in the next couple weeks. I am really excited to see what his levels are like.

One thing that I found that is very exciting is that MOST (not all) of these health consequences are reversible.

This is something I just wanted to share with you all because if you are like me, this is news to you and maybe eye opening!

No comments: