Friday, January 22, 2010

Frugal Friday

I've been laughed at because I sometimes save used tin foil. Not all the time, but sometimes you use it to cover something and it is perfectly clean or maybe just has a little moisture on it. So, I will wipe it off and fold it up and keep it.

I am FRUGAL!

Here are some things I do to save a little money.

1.  I wax my own eyebrows. Last time I went to get mine professionally waxed they charged me $12 and I was in and out in about 5 minutes. I realize some people have very bushy eyebrows and this might not be a good idea but I really just need a clean-up. At a drug store you can buy some wax for about $6 (if I remember correctly) and it will last you a long time. I don't remember how much it costs because I've been using the same stuff for over a year.

2.  For a while I would color my own hair. I could buy hair dye (with a coupon) for about $5. I never was all that happy with my hair, but it was cheap. My husband finally said something about my hair and gave me the go ahead to finally get it professionally done. Thankfully I have a friend that will come to my house and then I use Clairol Root Touch-up a few times in between. Saving me from having to pay every month.

3.  My daughter has long hair that is always full of tangles. I bought a small squirt bottle at the dollar store and put a little Suave conditioner that I had gotten really cheap in the bottom. Added some water. Shook it up and now I have detangler! Much cheaper than buying it at the store.

4.  I cut everyone's hair in my family (except for mine). I bought a clippers from Walgreens for $10 about 5 years ago. I has lasted us through many haircuts and has saved me a ton of money!

5.  I make my own glass cleaner. It's really easy and I love it! I never have streaks!

16 oz. water
1/2 c. white vinegar
1/4 c. rubbing alcohol
1 squirt bottle
(you can also add a couple drops of food coloring if you want)

6.  I most recently made my own laundry detergent. The jury is still out on this. It works just fine and was easy to make. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is in a big 5 gallon bucket. I usually just put some of it in an old laundry detergent bottle and then keep refilling it.

If you want the recipe you can find it on Mummy Deals with my friend Clair. I also got the glass cleaner recipe from her site.

7.  If you don't want to go through the hassel of making your own detergent, just use less of the store bought detergent. Some years back when we bought a new wash machine, the store told me that you don't need to use as much as what the bottle says. I only ever used half a capful for each load. Makes your detergent last twice as long.


What about you? Do you have anything you can share that you do to save some money? I'd love to add to my list!

No comments: