Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Indepenence

From the time our children are born, they are completely dependant on us for EVERYTHING! As they grow we teach them how to do things on their own. With multiples it can be very wearing on one. Especially when they were small it was constant feeding them and changing diapers.

As they have grown it has been exciting to watch them gain their independence and have one less thing that I have to do for them. Feeding themselves, potty training, dressing themselves, getting into their car seats themselves, buckling and unbuckling themselves in the car, cleaning up their toys, and the list goes on.

For some time now I've been working on them bathing themselves. Part of not giving them complete control over this is that I'm cheap and didn't want them using a bottle of shampoo or a bottle of body wash in a week. But last night, I gave up my control issue and started the bath water for them and told them to wash themselves and their hair and then I walked out of the room. One more thing they are not dependant on us for!

About the only thing left is food. They can get their own snacks, but I'm afraid their snack would be 10 cookies every time so that one I will be monitoring for awhile. They also occasionally need their food cut for them. Once they learn that, they will be pretty self reliant.

Well, of course, except for money! I don't see that going away anytime soon!

No comments: