Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Enjoying the Little Moments of Life


“But the biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while doing this. I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. 
There is one picture of the three of them sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4 and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night.
I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed.
I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less.”
~Anna Quindlen

Yesterday I was skimming through a blog post by Ann Voskamp. Yep, that's what I do now.....skim. This quote caught my eye and I've been thinking about it ever since.

Why do I have such a hard time living in the moment?

Why do I always have to think about what I have to get accomplished right after I finish the thing that I'm trying to accomplish at that moment. Even when I stop and try to just relax, I'm thinking about what I need to do next.

It's hard to slow down and just enjoy the people around you. Something I'm always trying to work on. Before I know it my kids will be grown and those little moments will be gone.

For all you busy moms out there, how do you relax and enjoy the little moments of life?

No comments: