Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Christmas Story

I have to warn you this is a long story and it is really cute and funny when told in person, so I am hoping a can convey all that on here. Also, I may ramble, but any of you who know me are probably used to that anyway.

This year I decided to get something for Brad that he would like as opposed to something he won't like but needs. Like clothes, socks, you know the sorts of gifts. I decided to get him a Garmin. As luck would have it, he told that's what he wanted about 2 weeks after I decided to get that for him. A few weeks ago Target had one on sale so I hauled all the kids to Target and we bought it for him.

Some of you may see where this story is going as soon as you saw I took the kids with me.

One night I was gone (don't even remember where) but apparently Isaac told Brad that we got him a map. Thankfully Brad didn't hear him and when he tried to get it out of him, all the kids were very good and didn't tell him. I thought I was in the clear.

Last Monday night, Brad comes home from watching some football at a friends house and tells me that Best Buy is having a sale on Garmins if I wanted to return the one I got him and get him the one from Best Buy. He knows this because his friends roomate works at Best Buy. Needless to say I was not very happy that he knew and I also wasn't happy that he told me right before I was to go to sleep. I couldn't believe he found out!

It turns out that my dear little Alex decided to give Daddy a hint as to what his Christmas present was. You guessed it............she told him it was a map! Since Brad knows I wouldn't get him a road atlas or a globe he figured out what it was. That's why I married him, all those brains! He's so smart!

The next day I checked out Best Buy online and there was a nicer one for $10 cheaper and free shipping. So we loaded up the kids again to head off to Target to return the first one. I didn't even tell the kids why were going, just headed into the store.

When they saw I was returning it one of them asked, "Why are we returning Daddy's present?"

Looking at Alex, I replied, "Because someone told him what he was getting."

Alex giggled, smiled and with a guilty look said, "It wasn't me."

The clerk and 2 ladies behind us in line burst into laughter.

Kids then ask,"Are we getting him something else?"

I reply, "Not while you are with me."

Again, women behind me are thoroughly amused by all of this.

So we came home and the kids informed Brad that his present has been returned.

As I said, I ordered a new one online. Now all I had to do was make sure that when the box came I found it.

Hmmmmm, do you see where this is going?

Monday afternoon Brad came home from work early and I headed into work since I had a few things to do. When I got home I noticed a box in the middle of the living room with a Best Buy receipt hanging out of it and the box was empty. I immediately took it and asked Brad why he would open it and where is the gift?

He told me how the events unfolded. He was on the phone and Joshua saw the box on the front porch brought it in the house and opened it. He took the gift out of the box, saw what it was and immediately went to hide it so his dad wouldn't it see it.

So I went to Joshua and asked him where it was. He was so excited and it was so cute, he was so proud of himself because he intercepted the gift before Brad could see it and he quickly went and hid it under the bed. The look on his face was just priceless. The girls let me know that they did not spill the beans and that they told Dad he was getting a horse.

Well, once again Brad knows what he is getting but the kids are sure that he doesn't. So now Brad can open his gift Christmas Day and act all surprised.

Hope you all followed me on that one. Now I just wonder what the kids will surprise me with since Brad texted me about 10 times while he was shopping with the kids to find out what sizes to get?????

No comments: