Friday, November 20, 2009

The Difference Between Boys and Girls

My MOPS is collecting boxes for Operation Christmas Child. I decided that I was going to take the girls one night to pick out items for a girl box and the boys another night to fill up a boy box.

Last Friday night I took the girls for our little night out of shopping and then to McDonalds for some ice cream sundaes. The girls were so cute. They had on their matching coats and walked through the store holding the little basket together and putting their items in it. I would kind of guide them through the store and tell them what we should get but then let them pick out the specific item. For instance, toothbrushes, a doll, coloring book, etc. Sometimes they would disagree which one but would eventually decide together on one item. They were very excited to find things for this little girl that they do not know.



We then went to McDonalds and sat in a booth together while Amanda and I ate sundaes and Alex wanted Chocolate chip cookies. The girls slowly ate their food and talked about things they like and they giggled. It was a very fun night with my little ladies.

Then on Tuesday it was the boys turn. My sister had her baby on Monday, so her son was over. Which means I took 3 boys shopping, not just 2. We started down the isles and of course it was all about what toys they wanted. The swords, the shields, the helmets. They were trying it all on. Whenever we would put one item in the basket they all thought that was someone elses toy and now they needed to pick one out too. No one wanted to hold the basket, so I did. Isaac did want to hold the wrapping paper roll at first so he could swing it around like a sword. Finally after explaining a million times that we were not there to pick out a toy for them but for another little boy that lived far away and this was probably going to be his only present and after answering a million times, no you may not get that! We finally headed to the register to pay.

Then the debate in going to McDonalds was that no one wanted ice cream, they all wanted chocolate chip cookies. I had a hard time going to McDonalds to buy cookies when I just made some the day before but realizing that it was about spending time with them and not the cookies, we went to McDonalds anyway. I got the hot fudge sundae to balance the calories I had burned off earlier by working out. The boys could not sit still, they didn't want to talk to me and the most intelligent thing said was, "Mom, I have to toot."

I think you get my point. Girls and boys, completely different!


The kids also all decorated Christmas cards for the children they are sending their boxes too.

Also, on a different note, when I took the boys shopping the lady standing behind me in line asked me if all 3 boys were mine. I actually got to answer no, in a tone like "that would be nuts to have 3 kids that close in age that were all mine!" Little did she know!

No comments: