Saturday, November 14, 2009

Verse of the Week

This is now my 5th week of scripture memorization. If you're new here, this is my first post about scripture memorization, why I want to memorize scripture. Ann from A Holy Experience also had a great post this week about memorizing scripture.

If you have been memorizing with me or would like to join me, I'd love to know that you are doing this with. You can either comment on this post or send me an email at mjvis@att.net. If you are not joining me, I encourage you all to be doing some form of memorizing scripture. It will change your life. One way I already see a change is in my prayer life.

I would also love to hear your tips on how you memorize scripture. I write my verse out on an index card and just leave it on my kitchen island all week long. Since I am in and out of my kitchen all day long, every time I come into my kitchen I see it. I read over it and at least once a day I stop and spend a little more time memorizing it. By the end of the week I usually try to say it from heart a couple times each day.

This week I would like to add a new verse but I am also going to be reviewing the verses from the last 4 weeks. The verse I am adding this week is a verse that I actually memorized with my children last spring. It's a great verse because it applies to so much of our life. Our speech. I've found this so helpful in dealing with issues with my children but have found it even more helpful in my own life. I find myself thinking of this verse before I say things. Although I am far from perfect, I know that this verse has kept me from a lot of backbiting and gossiping. I hope it also helps you in thinking about what you say.


Let no corrupt word proceed from your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. Ephesians 4:29


And the review verses from the last 4 weeks are:

You are worthy, O Lord, To receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, And by Your will they exist and were created. Revelations 4:11


To You, O Lord, I lift up my soul. O My God, I trust in You; Let me not be ashamed; Let not my enemies triumph over me. Psalm 25:1,2


Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. An everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. I Corinthians 9:24-26


Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You. Psalm 119:11


I hope that you are all blessed by these verses this week and that you will have God's word hidden in your heart.

No comments: