Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Turkeys and Pumpkin Cake

This week for Preschool the kids made this Turkey craft. I had the fun job of cutting everything out the night before but the kids did all the glueing. We then wrote down on the feathers what they were thankful for. They were thankful for God, Jesus, Mom and Dad, Grandpas and Grandma, clothes, food, the earth, eyes to see, and trees.



One of my favorite things to eat on Thanksgiving or in the fall in general is pumpkin desserts. Any kind really- pies, cakes, rolls, breads. If it's got pumpkin in it, I will eat it. If it is topped with Cool Whip that is even better. I thought I would share one of my favorite pumpkin recipes. It's a pumpkin cake topped with cream cheese frosting. I love it because it makes a 9x13 and an 8x8. Which means I can usually make it to bring somewhere and have some leftover for us. It's also easy to freeze and I love to make it into cupcakes too. I actually made it Saturday when we were having guests over. I made the 8x8 for the guests and made 24 cupcakes, froze them, and hauled them out to take to a family gathering today. They were gone quickly! Kids and adults love them!


Here's the recipe:
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 c. vegetable oil
1 (15oz) can pumpkin
Mix the above ingredients and sift in the following:
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves

Place in greased 9x13 and a greased 8x8 pan. Preheat oven to 350 and bake for 25 minutes. (If you make cupcakes bake for less time. I think mine took about 15 min.)

Cream Cheese Frosting: (I suggest making a double batch)

1- 3oz. pkg cream cheese
3 T. Butter
Beat until smooth and then add 2 c. powdered sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla.

Eat and enjoy!

Hope you all had a blessed Thanksgiving!

No comments: