Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Homeschooling

I never thought I would call myself a homeschooling mom. Still don't know if I really consider myself that because I'm only homeschooling preschool right now I don't really have any plans of doing more than just that. But I've learned in my life to never say never because you never know where God will lead you.
I don't really have any huge reasons for doing it. When my children were babies I didn't really get to bond with them the way most mothers get to. I was in survival mode. Just needed to get those diapers changed and get the babies fed. Now we are under no kind of schedule as far as having to be somewhere at a certain time and I can just enjoy spending time with them and teaching them the basics.

We only started a short time ago, but the kids are loving it and so am I. I have a curriculum that I ordered and we use that along with practicing writing our letters and numbers. They love to do crafts and games. I know that after this year I will treasure all the memories we made and I'll look back on it with fondness and will never regret taking the time to sit down with them and just enjoy them when they are still young.

Even if you send your children to preschool or any school, don't forget to take a little time out of your day to just enjoy your kids even if you have to schedule it on your calendar. You'll never regret that time even if it means your house is messy or your laundry isn't folded (like mine) or you have grilled cheese for supper instead of a gourmet meal.




I've set up a schedule to have preschool on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. I am back to a schedule just like when they were little but I find that a schedule helps us to be consistent and to not put things off. Like I said, we have a curriculum but I try to keep it fun too. So on Tuesdays we do a craft and end up with fun things like colorful painted spiders







and a beautiful basket of flowers. Which both went in the garbage today because now I have pictures to prove that we did them.

We were supposed to go on a little field trip tomorrow with some other Homeschooling Moms to a Dairy Farm. But Isaac has had a pretty bad cough so I didn't want to infect any of the other kids we were going with since there were going to be some pretty young children.

If anyone else teaches their kids preschool I would love to hear your ideas on things you do or crafts, games, anything that you think would be fun to do.

1 comment:

Deborah Ann said...

I home schooled 3 of my kids when they were teenagers. I never regret doing that. It kept them away from peer pressure, and we found a great program that was easy to do.

Have a blessed week!